What is the distinction between a Scenic Viewpoint and the typical State Park?
How are the Advisory Committee Meetings Different than Public Meetings?
There are two stakeholder advisory groups – A statewide Advisory Group; and a locally focused Advisory Sub-Group.
The statewide Advisory Group includes members of both state and local organizations that have an impact, or are impacted by the Pilot Butte Scenic Viewpoint. This includes geographic ties to the ‘traditional’ Butte (as tourism, recreation or resource management).
The stakeholder advisory committees will be made up of representatives of interest groups and agencies that have direct interest in the park. In general, the criteria used to select Committee members are:
1) The represented group has a significant stake in the outcome, or the representative has professional expertise of particular value to the planning process;
2) The group representative will represent his/her group’s interests ahead of personal interests, and coordinate comments with and convey information to his/her group;
3) The representative is willing to work toward consensus and seek solutions that address multiple interests;
4) The representative is available to attend the meetings;
5) Duplication of membership is generally avoided in representation of an interest, agency or expertise (although members may identify a backup representative to participate in their absence).
Many interest groups and agencies have been asked to participate through committee representation. The following is a list of the current participants on the Advisory Committees:
- Bend Parks and Recreation Department
- City of Bend – Active Transportation
- Bend / LaPine School District
- Bend Fire
- The Deschutes County Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee
- Oregon Adaptive Sports
- Visit Bend
- Confederated Tribes of the Warm Springs Reservation of Oregon
- Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT)
- Deschutes Trails Coalition
- Bend Chamber of Commerce
- Stu Garrett, Horticulturalist
- Terry Foley, Local Butte Historian
- Orchard District Neighborhood Association
- Mountain View Neighborhood Association
- Larkspur Neighborhood Association
- St. Charles Medical Center
- Oregon Parks and Recreation Department